Tuesday, January 12, 2010

The Solemn Sheriff - free verse/story esq

In the street lay the bandit
The sheriff a man of great stature, hovered over him
As the Village watched a strange thing happened
A tear, the size of a slug, traced the sheriff's jaw
It fell upon the bullet hole on the chest of the bandit
That tear,like a bullet, pierced the heart of the villagers
For the bandit was young,and well the sheriff was old
The bandit's face was smooth, sheriff's face housed dunes of sand


















The sheriff layed down his gun
He yelled softly at all who heard
Mothers, hold your sons, give them love
Im tired of killing, tired of taking lives
tired of leaving homes to lonely wives
I am lost everywhere I go, their faces haunt my dreams,I can't eat and can't sleep
I think of taking my life every time I close my eyes and see your sons
I think of the bang, the silence, the peace
But I can't for I am too weak
So Ill take my horse, leave my gun
Im going to the desert to sleep with the sun

No comments:

Post a Comment